Start a new topic

JuiceBox / ENEL X Shutting Down

ENEL X is closing their doors, basically turning everyone's JuiceBox into a really expensive, dumb, extension cord.

I'm sure I speak for a lot of people in the fact that we are interested in converting our boxes back to a "smart" charging system.

I would however like to use as many parts as possible to minimize the cost associated with this.

How can we (JuiceBox owners) help you to help us?

1 person likes this idea

I can provide some hardware information on the Juicebox 40 pro. 

Potentially reusable parts (I assume the controller board is not usable):

1) Aluminum Case

2) Current Transformer(s):

a) 1 x CR8450-2500-N

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/cr-magnetics-inc/CR8450-2500-N/2500072

b) 1 x CR8420-1000-G

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/cr-magnetics-inc/CR8420-1000-G/1045174

3) Relay - 50A / 250VAC relay board with line/load terminals (2 in, 2 out).

Relay board info:

a) one two wire connector from controller board that controlled the relay with 12vdc.

b) one two wire connector off the line side (240v) to controller board.

c) one two wire connector off the load side (240v) to the controller board.

4) 1 x External mount Wifi Antenna

5) NEMA 14-50 50amp/240v power cable with strain relief connector

6) SAE J1772 EV Cable with strain relief connector

Great summery and thank you for the pictures.

1. Absolutely, how is status displayed? Color LED. WiFi controller may be able to fill in here, it has built in color status LEDs.

2.a.OpenEVSE uses The CR8450-2000. The extra 500 turns could be resolved by changing a resistor on the controller.
b. Same part, same 5 turn test coil. OpenEVSE uses a 4 pin connector vs two 2 pin connectors.

3. Should work fine, OpenEVSE has a 12v relay output and uses line side wires to power controller and load side for stuck relay test.

4. OpenEVSE WiFi has an external antenna option.

5. Easy reuse.

6. Easy reuse.

Easy retrofit option, just reuse the cables and purchase the Advanced Kit, no soldering, connectors on cables should be okay.

Some fabrication required option. Parts

OpenEVSE controller

WiFi controller (external antenna option)

Amp current measurement 8450-2000 coil (optional for no controller mod)

GFCI 8420-1000 (optional for no connector mod)

FWIW, I think we can also make use of the LED lights on the front of the juice box.  (Also @OpenEVSESupport, suggest we merge these threads if possible as there are three) 

I've checked continuity to the JuiceBox 40 LEDs on the front of the case. They're connected with a standard flexible ribbon cable - I need to check the pitch next time I have my micrometer out.  The other end of the LEDS are bonded with the front of the case using some kind of glue, making me think it's a small flexible PCB covered by the JuiceBox's cover. 

Green is attached to Power
Blue was used for Wifi Indication
Red for active charging. 

I thought there was something wrong with this unit, as there's certainly a lower-intensity on the blue LED than with the other two, but I looked at the unit currently still used at my studio and the blue is certainly less intense than the other two. 

With 5V applied, we get:

Top to bottom, connector side (Bottom most connector is ground)

I *was* going to scrape and solder wires on, but if we can come up with a small converter PCB, that'd be grand. BOM shouldn't be too much. I just need to find the right part! 

We could do it a few ways:

position the OpenEVSE WiFi LED to use the same light pipe or hole. 

Use the OpenEVSE RGB LED https://store.openevse.com/collections/all-products/products/copy-of-openevse-rgb-lcd

Hack the OpenEVSE RGB LED remove the LED and use the Red Green Blue and 0V lines

1 person likes this