Start a new topic

Convert JuiceBox 48s?

I have two JB48s (2JBO481RNA).  JuiceBox is shutting down October 11th.  Can I convert those units to OpenEVSE?  I would like load balancing and data capture.

1 person likes this idea

Wow.. I was just thinking about this too as an email came today about Enel X Way stopping all EVSE services in the US and Canada. I have an Juicebox pro 40 that I had bought in 2018 that I haven't used for years.    I just pulled the cables (power and charging) out it, and then came here to see if I could use the cables. I think you'd be able to order the "Advanced Series - Kit" (https://store.openevse.com/collections/all-products/products/advanced-kit) which comes with everything except the cables which you could re-use the ones from your Juicebox.  Maybe a response from others can confirm this.

Please post pictures inside your station. Each component and circuit board. Re using the cables with the advanced kit is a pretty easy way to go but maybe we can do more.

Appreciate the response.  I was hoping you would say "lots of people have converted newer JuiceBox chargers, here's what you need and the steps to follow.  Never opened my units, sounds like while MAYBE this could be done, it's not all figured out for me.   :)

Here's my real need - load balancing between chargers.  Currently on a 60amp circuit, with two JB48s.  With the working JB software (2023), it would allow me to set one charger at 48amps, the other at 32amps, and it pro-rated the charge to each vehicle when both needed to charge, at that ratio.  In other words, the 48amp charger got 29amps, and the 32amp charger got 19amps.  I don't care about the pro-ration, but the only reason for me to undertake anything would be if load balancing (at least 50/50) existed with OpenEVSE, and when one vehicle was done the other charger ramped up.

Does it exist?

@Rick - A lot of people have converted their stations over the years and as features were taken away as software changes. 

Hard - gutting out all the electronics and fabricating parts keeping the cables enclosure and some parts.

Not to hard - Purchasing an Advanced Kit and reusing the cables.

We would like to take it a step further by replacing the main circuit board with a drop in replacement. To reuse almost everything and make the change simple. 

Does load sharing exist, absolutely. OpenEVSE does not use any proprietary software or force you to use a subscription or our servers, so it takes a little more effort on you end. It can be done with MQTT and software for the logic such as Node-Red or using the OpenEVSE Home Assistant Integration.

1 person likes this

So, to summarize:

- I can buy an Advanced Kit and use the cables.  Or, If I take pictures of the innards, you can look at them and figure out what components I need to replace, perhaps just the main circuit board, which would be fairly easy and less expensive.  Correct?

As to load sharing, I'm not family with MQTT or Node-Red or your HA Integration.  If someone has written stuff to do load sharing, great.  But it's not something I can write.  I do have a Raspberry Pi running as a server for my sprinkler system, setup by my son years ago.  Don't know if allows me to run a server for the chargers to talk to.

Ideal situation in my opinion is that load sharing is done via a hardwire connection, like Tesla and Wallbox do.  

"not familiar"