Start a new topic

NACS Cabling

Whelp.  With CCS dying in the US. We *really* need OpenEVSE to source an NACS cable or connector for existing OpenEVSE units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfrgG8MmrLI

Just opening the discussion. :-)

2 people like this idea

The first 10 pcs went into test units plus a couple kit bundles and prebuilt stations. We expect the 90pcs to ship on February 2nd. I will work on the product in the store so the NACS cable can be pre-ordered.

4 people like this

We have recieved our first 10 - 48A NACS cables. Another 90 are on the way.

3 people like this

@pir8radio & Alexander Give me a day or two and I will create the store product listing. At the moment the cables are options on the Kit Bundle and Station. 

2 people like this

Sure does. The VCC line connects to 3.3v. The easiest spot to tap is the WiFi / WiFi LCD module.

There are also NTC temperature lines for each power line. We will add circuits on ADC pins in the future to monitor pin temperaturte.

1 person likes this

Here is the NACS cable by itself in the store. We currently have 5 available flown in and 90 on the way.

https://store.openevse.com/products/nacs-tesla-ev-cable-25

1 person likes this

OpenEVSE will offer NACS as soon as we can find a supplier. Tesla cables sacrificed from a Tesla Mobile Connector or HPWC work perfectly on OpenEVSE.

1 person likes this

That is the one I'm using! In fact, I also tried (and will continue to) get the HA community to adopt it as the official integration.

Right now it's broken because I have the new LCD, and the version info isn't in the expected format (sem-ver?). I can read data, but changing values throws an error. Any word on firmware updates yet?

1 person likes this

We have a couple left from the initial 10 and the remaining 90 are on a boat.

1 person likes this

My understanding is the communication expresses the vehicle ID, not the credit card information. The value of skimming information would only come if someone wanted to then replicate the vehicle ID to charge their own car. I can't imagine a pirate going so far just to steal a charge every now and then but this is a fair point.

1 person likes this

NACS cables now in stock... 

25 feet 

48A

With transmitter for tesla charge port doors.

Most of your posts do not have to be approved. I see 2 in the bucket now, not sure why. One was yours from a few days ago and the other Electric Ant.

We do not have any source for NACS (SAE J3400) yet. We have been working with Phoenix Contact and ITT to get some, but they are not selling anything yet.

Are you sure that’s how billing happens? I read that the car sends billing info via the car’s cellular modem which is encrypted. Only vin number is sent to supercharger. 

@OpenEVSE Support

Looking over the NACS aka J3400 interface info I found that vehicles do not have contactors on the onboard AC charger, they tie the input directly to the L1/L2 DC pins on that connector..  So when you are charging via DC you are actually pumping DC into the AC input on the onboard AC-DC charger.   They recommend the onboard charger be designed to withstand this but admit a malfunction of the EVSE could damage that onboard charger.   I would also think this could lead to a safety issue (depending on who designs the onboard charger) allowing HV DC to leak to the vehicle body via the case of the AC-DC charger.    Where as AC would be GFCI tripped DC wouldn't.  This is all I was saying above, and looks like it is possible even if not reported yet.   Here is the clip below, and here is the link to the interface specs for you, may be handy for future EVSE firmware stuff I don't know..  :-)  

3.1 On-Board Charger DC Voltage Withstand Tesla’s implementation has the AC input of the on-board charger directly connected to the fast charge link. With this implementation, DC high voltage will be applied to the AC input of the on-board charger whenever DC fast charging is active. The on-board charger must be designed to withstand this DC voltage and must not attempt to convert power when DC fast charging is active to avoid damage to the on-board charger power converters. The maximum DC voltage that the on-board charger must withstand can be derived as the greater of maximum pack voltage and maximum voltage seen during the DC charging external isolation check If the on-board charger cannot meet this voltage withstand requirement, an alternative option is to separate the on-board charger from the fast charge link using relays or contactors. Failure modes of DC EVSEs must also be considered when choosing the maximum withstand voltage. Tesla has encountered situations where DC EVSEs applied higher than expected DC voltage during external isolation testing, caused either by vehicle or EVSE malfunctions, resulting in damage to the on-board charger or other components connected to the fast charge link. An example of this is EVSEs rated for maximum voltage supported by the CCS standard unexpectedly applying this maximum voltage to a vehicle advertising it does not support this range. While it is not required to ensure there is no damage to components due to this failure mode, manufacturers should consider this malfunction when designing the system and at minimum ensure the failure is contained and does not pose safety hazards.

yea that post i just did about the tesla extensions said it needed approval too, as will this one..  every post i have made for quite a while needs approval.. I assumed it was like that for everyone on the forum.  lol   i usually have to wait a few days before i see my posts due to someone approving..    odd....

I dont see them in your store, put me down for one.   lol

Login or Signup to post a comment