Start a new topic

Charge rates less than 6A ( for use with off grid solar )...

Hello, I've just ordered a Kia EV6 with delivery expected in earl 2023. ( yes, long wait )..     I am wanting to build some solar charging, to go with it.. I fully expect that there will be times when i wont' have sufficent sunshine to produce 6A @230V.  ( middle of winter )..   In summer time i'll have an abundence..

Is there a way to get lower charge currents than 6A?    I want to use what i produce even if its not much.. I can 'top' up at night on cheaper grid based power.   

1 person has this question

I have the same question (even if I have 3 phase 400V)

And I tried to "play" with the RAPI commands and with the HTTP API : it seems impossible to go lower than 6A. I read somewhere that is related to the charging standard of the EV.

The SAE J1772 and IEC standards for EV charging define the minimum as 6A.  There is no way to command a lower current.

On a related note, is there a way to set the minimum HIGHER than 6A?

i.e. I have eco mode turned on, and want to divert my solar to the car, however the car is much more efficient charging at higher rates, so I'm not sure if I want to bother when it's only 6A and would rather wait until there was closer to 10A available. Can the minimum for ECO mode be raised?

The minimum for the station can be set higher, but since it is not a common setting it has to be done in the source code.

The MIN_CURRENT_CAPACITY_J1772  line in open_evse.h file would need to be modified and recompiled.

// current capacity in amps

#define DEFAULT_CURRENT_CAPACITY_L1 12

#define DEFAULT_CURRENT_CAPACITY_L2 16

// minimum allowable current in amps

#define MIN_CURRENT_CAPACITY_J1772 6

// maximum allowable current in amps

#define MAX_CURRENT_CAPACITY_L1 16 // J1772 Max for L1 on a 20A circuit = 16, 15A circuit = 12

#define MAX_CURRENT_CAPACITY_L2 80 // J1772 Max for L2 = 80

Login or Signup to post a comment