Start a new topic

EV plug smoked

I got home last night 2:40sh AM  I plug in my car  usually takes 2-4 seconds for relay to click by that time i'm already taken my hands off the plug and started process of walking away when the whole power to my house goes out window AC unit that sits in the window close to my car shuts off  I turn and look at car i see smoke coming out the EV plug...

panic since the whole house lost power I unplug EV J1772 plug tap it and doesn't seem hot and just put it back in the wall holder  test to see if I killed my car : turn on what a relieve  " pull the AC disconnect  for safety .. it's 80 and humid outside  thinking no one will notice since everyone sleep just called my aunt tell her what happen and that tomorrow I need access to basement to turn power since everyone sleeping 20 minutes later get called it's hot and people want Power  they want AC lol so go down turn everything back on.

today I inspected  for damage this what I found. pics bellow

what I have notice 1-2 week before I stop charging mid charge since i had to go out and when I unplug it was hot but thought nothing of it since sun was out and  of course things get hot..

looks from pics insulation gave out and short happened

Just visual inspection seem like the unit it self is in good shape 

only the plug has damage.. wondering can I salvage this plug?

basically follow this guide How to build SAE J1772 cable assembly and cut damage part of cable out I haven't inspected further down cable yet since I have to cut insulation out.

unit was limited to 40a  in the menu since only a 7kW, car

kia niro EV 40k miles

That looks like it has been overheating for a while. Loose wires or worn contacts In the plug would be my guess.
I would not reuse the plug in this case. Chances are same thing would happen again.

I see a lot of rusted hardware in the connector, I would not reuse it.  

was this connector not sealed to protect it from rain?

Login or Signup to post a comment