Start a new topic

How to reset WiFi Password?

Newbie here.

I got as far as connecting the OpenEvse WiFi to my house router ... could see the system charging.  Yippee!

Then I must have done something wrong (not that I know what I did) because my web browser now can't get to the charger.  Browser says:

,/ Username

./ Password

I've tried admin / admin,   openevse / openevse , and a lot of combinations and other stuff.  Nada.

So how do I reset the WiFi module back to factory default?  

Thanks!   -Cliff

1 person has this problem

Note:  Pressing RESET button on the Huzzah wifi board does NOT clear the problem.  

Here's where I'm stuck...   any suggestions?

and yes, as per instructions, I've tried    username  admin   pw  openevse

no luck.

Hi Cliff,

You ordered the Programmer for OpenEVSE controller, we knew what you needed was the programmer for WiFi so we sent both at no additional cost.

You can remove just the the lid and take it to your computer (you only need access to the WiFi module)

Plug "D" (from your diagram) into your computer and "F" into the WiFi board (black wire lines up with GND printed on the controller). Enter programming mode by holding button GPIO0 down and pressing reset.

You will need to download esptool

https://github.com/espressif/esptool

From the terminal run erase the flash:

esptool.py -b 1500000 erase_flash

Then download firmware from https://github.com/OpenEVSE/ESP8266_WiFi_v2.x/releases

and load with the command:

Enter programming mode again by holding button GPIO0 down and pressing reset.

esptool.py -b 1500000  write_flash 0x000000 firmware.bin

You are welcome to send the module to us and we will reprogram at no cost... if you have trouble:

OpenEVSE Support

1055 W Columbia Way

Suite 108

Lancaster, Ca 93534

Still have not received anything.  Friday 20 April.  Please email the tracking number. 

A good argument for building hardware reset of wifi password:  it's now been three weeks of downtime and frustration over a truly trivial problem.

We agree with you. The 1.0 version had this feature. In 2.0 it was removed in favor of using the button to switch from client mode to Access Point Mode.

We are looking at putting firmware wipe back on the WiFi GOIO0 button (easy to do we already have the code) and using a super long press on the Front panel button to switch from client mode to Access Point Mode (a bit more difficult to do).

When you setup WiFi again make sure your browser does not autofill the username and password field or set them to something you know.

The Wifi module should not have any HTTP password by default. Are you sure you didn't set a password by accident? I'm afraid the only way to reset it is by clearing the EEPROM of the WiFi module. A programmer is required for this. This is a known issue please +1 the open issue https://github.com/OpenEVSE/ESP8266_WiFi_v2.x/issues/137

Login or Signup to post a comment