Start a new topic

How to reset WiFi Password?

Newbie here.

I got as far as connecting the OpenEvse WiFi to my house router ... could see the system charging.  Yippee!

Then I must have done something wrong (not that I know what I did) because my web browser now can't get to the charger.  Browser says:

,/ Username

./ Password

I've tried admin / admin,   openevse / openevse , and a lot of combinations and other stuff.  Nada.

So how do I reset the WiFi module back to factory default?  

Thanks!   -Cliff

1 person has this problem

Saga continues:   With the programmer disconnected from the wifi board, the programmer's bright red led is always on, and a blue led flashes during while the esptool commands are being executed.

With the programmer connected to the wifi board, the programmer's bright red led is always on, but the blue led does not flash while the esptool commands are being executed.

In both cases, I get the same error message: 

Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header

The wifi board blue led flashes dimly about once a second.   A red led lights up brightly when the gpio0 button is pressed.  When the reset button is pressed at the same time as the GPIO0 button, the red led lights dimly.  

the "chip_id" command has the same result:

python esptool.py --port=/dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART -b 1500000 chip_id

Additional information: [7:30 to 8:30AM April 10]

On suggestion from https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/issues/370  

I have downloaded and installed Silicon Labs VCP Driver from 

https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

This, of course, required security over-ride, since it was not a signed piece of software.

Now, after rebooting the macintosh, I can see:

Cliffs-iMac:esptool-2.3.1 cliff$ ls /dev/tty.*

/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART

That port,  /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART  

apparently must be passed to esptool as follows:

python esptool.py --port=/dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART  -b 1500000 erase_flash

However, at this point, I receive the following error:

Cliffs-iMac:esptool-2.3.1 cliff$ python esptool.py --port=/dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART  -b 1500000 erase_flash

esptool.py v2.3.1

Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header

(Yes, I did press the "GPIO0 button" and the "reset" button on the wifi card)

To be continued...

Thanks Christopher.  Here's what I"m doing:

4PM, opened Openevse, brought lid with Wifi module to my office, plugged into Mac, as per instructions.  Easy.

4:10PM, went to GitHub.com/esspressif/esptool.  Downloaded and expanded folder " esptool-2.3.1 " onto my OSX desktop.

Opened terminal window.  Typed esptool.py -b 1500000 erase_flash   

response:   Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement esptool (from versions: )

No matching distribution found for esptool

ok, maybe i'm in the wrong directory.

within terminal:

cd/desktop/esptool-2.3.1

Cliffs-iMac:esptool-2.3.1 cliff$ pwd

/Users/cliff/desktop/esptool-2.3.1

Cliffs-iMac:esptool-2.3.1 cliff$ ls

LICENSE MANIFEST.in PKG-INFO README.md espefuse.py espsecure.py esptool.egg-info esptool.py setup.cfg setup.py

Cliffs-iMac:esptool-2.3.1 cliff$ esptool.py -b 1500000 erase_flash

-bash: esptool.py: command not found

Cliffs-iMac:esptool-2.3.1 cliff$ 

Maybe I must type Python esptool?

Cliffs-iMac:esptool-2.3.1 cliff$ python esptool.py -b 1500000 erase_flash

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "esptool.py", line 34, in <module>

import serial

ImportError: No module named serial

4:30 PM:  from Stack Overflow, suggestion that I must install "PYSERIAL"

Cliffs-iMac:esptool-2.3.1 cliff$ pip install pyserial

Collecting pyserial

Cache entry deserialization failed, entry ignored

Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement pyserial (from versions: )

No matching distribution found for pyserial

try again:

Cliffs-iMac:esptool-2.3.1 cliff$ sudo easy_install pyserial

Password:

Searching for pyserial

Reading https://pypi.python.org/simple/pyserial/

Couldn't find index page for 'pyserial' (maybe misspelled?)

Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)

Reading https://pypi.python.org/simple/

No local packages or working download links found for pyserial

error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('pyserial')

Another suggestion, this from reddit:

Cliffs-iMac:esptool-2.3.1 cliff$ python -m pip install pyserial

Collecting pyserial

Cache entry deserialization failed, entry ignored

Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement pyserial (from versions: )

No matching distribution found for pyserial

6:30PM  My neighbor came over and spent an hour, doing a fresh install of Python, Brew, PiP, Pyserial, and several other things. 

now, I can enter this command:

Cliffs-iMac: esptool-2.3.1 cliff$ python esptool.py -b 1500000 erase_flash

And I receive the following error message:

esptool.py v2.3.1

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "esptool.py", line 2637, in <module>

_main()

File "esptool.py", line 2630, in _main

main()

File "esptool.py", line 2349, in main

esp = ESPLoader.detect_chip(args.port, initial_baud, args.before, args.trace)

File "esptool.py", line 222, in detect_chip

detect_port = ESPLoader(port, baud, trace_enabled=trace_enabled)

File "esptool.py", line 193, in __init__

self._port = serial.serial_for_url(port)

File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/serial/__init__.py", line 88, in serial_for_url

instance.open()

File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 268, in open

raise SerialException(msg.errno, "could not open port {}: {}".format(self._port, msg))

serial.serialutil.SerialException: [Errno 2] could not open port /dev/ttyUSB0: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/ttyUSB0'

2 1/2 hours and I still haven't erased the password.  

Everything sounds correct. The dimly lit LED is correct behavior for programming mode.

The Serial board should always have the red led on. When you run the command the blue led should flash a couple times then the blue led on the wifi should flash. Then both blue LEDs should flash rapidly as the program is run.

We do not have much experience with OS X but all your steps look correct and in sync with guides we found like this one.

https://learn.adafruit.com/building-and-running-micropython-on-the-esp8266/flash-firmware

Sigh.  Nothing happens.  This has wasted 14 hours of my life so far.

Attach Huzzah wifi board to programmer.  Programer to USB Mac OSX/High Sierra

occasional blue blinks from Huzzah card.  Programmer card steady bright red led.

On the Huzzah wifi card, hold own GPIO0 button.  Push Reset button.

Now Huzzah card is dim red.

execute this command from mac terminal:

python esptool.py -p /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART -b 74880 erase_flash

*NO* blue flashing light on programmer.  Huzzah card stays dim red.

After 15 seconds terminal shows:

Cliffs-iMac:esptool-2.3.1 cliff$ python esptool.py -p /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART -b 74880 erase_flash

esptool.py v2.3.1

***NOTE*** 

If I repeat the above, but do not attach the Huzzah card, then the blue led on the programmer periodically lights up during the process.  This shows that commands are reaching the programmer, and it is attempting to send data to the Huzzah card. 

However, if the Huzzah card is plugged into the programmer, then the programmer's blue led never lights up ... no matter if the command is sent when the Huazzh card is in programming mode or otherwise.  

Is this normal?

Offer still stands. Once setup, the process takes about 30 seconds.

You are welcome to send the module to us and we will reprogram at no cost...:

OpenEVSE Support

1055 W Columbia Way

Suite 108

Lancaster, Ca 93534

Chris, can you just send me a working wifi huzzah card.  I will return the one that's sitting over here.  

This has wasted way too much time.

-Cliff Stoll

6270 Colby St

Oakland, CA 94618

phone 510 654 3958

2018-April-10,   1:30pm

mailing it to you today

i have a similar issue.  Somehow the uasername/password combo no longer works.  I looked through the browser passwords and found it and it matches what I thought I set it to.  I have the one of the latest WIFI firmwares and my understanding was that it would allow me to reset the password by using some sort of menu button presses.  I've put in a ticket requesting assistance but I've not had any response yet.  So I have a very dumb charger right now.  which is ok.. it is charging for what I need, I'd just like to get my unit updated and accessible.

Hardware factory reset option has no been implemented in V2.7.4, sorry for the hassle. https://github.com/OpenEVSE/ESP8266_WiFi_v2.x/releases

To reset to factory default press and hold GPIO0 for 10 seconds.

I sent the Huzzah chip out on April 10th; I've not heard a peep since then.

Did it arrive?

Has it been reprogrammed?

Has it been sent back to me?

Thanks,

-Cliff

Yes on all 3. I will send the tracking via Email.

Please excuse the following newbie questions. 

I realize that these are laughably ignorant questions.  However, I am laughably ignorant, and have wasted several hours reading much openevse documentation and not understanding what I should do.  At this moment, I feel incredibly stupid.

I wish to reset the WiFi password on my OpenEvse unit. 

In hopes of doing so, and following instructions above, I ordered the "programming module" from the ease store.  The package arrived early today.

Two USB dongles arrived, along with three short cables.  

USB Dongle 1 came in envelope marked "USBTTL" but says "USBASP V2.0" on the long blue board ("A - B" in photo below)

USB Dongle 2 came in envelope marked "ISP" .   It is white, almost square board with no markings. ("D - E" in photo below)

Cable 1 is gray ribbon cable, which came plugged into Dongle 1.  ("B - C" in photo below)

Cable 2 is 4 wire assembly, which cam plugged into Dongle 2.   ("E - F" in photo below)

Cable 3 is 5 wire assembly, which has a 10 pin connector at one end, and a 6 pin connector at the other. ("G - H" in photo below)

I do not know what to do now.  I don't know if I should program the EVSE main board.  Or maybe I should program the WiFi module.  

I own a Macintosh, running OSX.

The OpenEvse system is mounted about fifty feet away from my computer.

Should I dismount the EVSE from the exterior of my house, bring it into my shop, remove the board from the EVSE (which board??) and plug it into the USB programer (which one?) (Which connection?)

Or should I borrow my son's laptop Macintosh computer and program the EVSE at the side of the house (same set of questions - which plug to connect to what cable to what programmer?)

Closely related to these questions: 

At "How to load OpenEVSE firmware (WinAVR),  I have found a pointer to the file "open_evse.hex" , Version 4.8.0.  I have downloaded this to my Macintosh.  There are extensive instructions for how to use this file for a Windows computer.  But I do not know how to send this file to the programmer.  (Again, Which programmer?  What should I connect it to?  Should I use OSX "Terminal" commands?  If so, which ones?).

I'm sorry that my questions are so ignorant and basic.  It's not because I haven't spent a long time reading EVSE documentation.  

DSCN7172.JPG
(466 KB)
Login or Signup to post a comment