Start a new topic

Portable Solar charging station

I was considering finding a way to make a sliding roof rack that can hold 4 full-size solar panels that could be opened up when the car is parked and used to trickle-charge the battery when plug-in power wasn't available. 

It started when I found this deal:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-265-Watt-Polycrystalline-Solar-Panel-4-Pack-GS-P60-265x4/206365811

1.06kw worth of panels.. In my ideal scenario, When folded out, it would be about 5'5" x 13'.  Compacted would be similar to having a turtle pack on the roof of the car.

Is anyone attempting anything similar currently?  The one other project I saw looks like it's specifically needing an internet connection to feed data between the solar array/inverters and the charger.  Since this would be remote, it wouldn't have internet access.

Charging an EV requires AC power, it is possible to charge in an off grid setup. You will need:

Panels

Inverter(s)

Batteries

Monitoring system to communicate with OpenEVSE to increase, decrease, stop as solar output varies

OpenEVSE Advanced station

Bringing an old thread back from the dead, did you ever find a way to make this happen? I am thinking to do something similar but on a slightly larger scale and even more remote. I am thinking a foldout set of up to 10 panels to charge a Tesla Cybertruck while in camp.

Login or Signup to post a comment