Start a new topic

Portable Solar charging station

I was considering finding a way to make a sliding roof rack that can hold 4 full-size solar panels that could be opened up when the car is parked and used to trickle-charge the battery when plug-in power wasn't available. 

It started when I found this deal:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-265-Watt-Polycrystalline-Solar-Panel-4-Pack-GS-P60-265x4/206365811

1.06kw worth of panels.. In my ideal scenario, When folded out, it would be about 5'5" x 13'.  Compacted would be similar to having a turtle pack on the roof of the car.

Is anyone attempting anything similar currently?  The one other project I saw looks like it's specifically needing an internet connection to feed data between the solar array/inverters and the charger.  Since this would be remote, it wouldn't have internet access.

Bringing an old thread back from the dead, did you ever find a way to make this happen? I am thinking to do something similar but on a slightly larger scale and even more remote. I am thinking a foldout set of up to 10 panels to charge a Tesla Cybertruck while in camp.

Charging an EV requires AC power, it is possible to charge in an off grid setup. You will need:

Panels

Inverter(s)

Batteries

Monitoring system to communicate with OpenEVSE to increase, decrease, stop as solar output varies

OpenEVSE Advanced station

Login or Signup to post a comment