Start a new topic

single phase 240v

Hi,
I'm looking for an explanation about 240v (International) wiring.
we have three wires L N GND.
Do i need one relay and one relay test?
We don't have level1 and level2 here, so it's a bit confusing.

Regards,
Yoav

Shalom Yoav!

L1 and L2 mean Live1 and Live2.  You just treat GND as Ground, the same as anywhere, and use L and N the same way that Americans would use L1 and L2.

Is your question about relay and relay test answered by Step 4 in this guide: http://openevse.dozuki.com/Guide/OpenEVSE+50A+Charging+Station/8?lang=en

Maybe?

1 person likes this
Hi. I am living in Europe , Poland. I bought 50 A kit. Using it with Nissan e-NV200. Level of charging depends mostly on amperage of circuit.if I am right.24A giving me rate 40 km/ hour of charging.
jpg
(2.32 MB)

Toda!

what about GFCI - hot and N will do?

yoav

level2 is not equal to line2.what is the question about then?

If I understand correctly, the question is how to connect the mains electricity given 240V with Live, Neutral, and Ground (rather than the American L1, L2, Neutral, and Ground).  Is that correct Yoav?  The answer, if I understand correctly, is to connect international L and N as one would connect American L1 and L2 (and of course ground is still ground).

I'm still a prospective customer with no experience doing this exactly (but I do have experience living in several different countries with different electricity supplies).  I'm assuming (from having read the build guide) that the American Neutral mains lead does not need to be connected anywhere i.e. that the openEVSE does not need 115V.  Is this assumption correct?

In the USA L1 and L2 are interchangeable. In Australia, 240 V typical 1 phase, N and Ground are conceded in the household fuse box then the wires L N G are wired to the general purpose outlet. It is not obvious the L1 and L2 can be conected to L and N randomly. The convention is to switch L and leave N and G always conected. But EVSE has inbuilt relay to switch L1 and L2 or in Australian terms L and N. Relays don't switch exactly at the same time this can lead to ground flow problems for very short periods or if one relay sticks it can be worse.

There is no issue switching both L and N, in fact it is required by the standards. Ground and Neutral are only allowed to be bonded in the Panel, so there is no possibility of ground flow issues.

OpenEVSE can be connected in any way L - L, L - N, or N - L.

Required by the J1772 Standard? Anyway here is what the Australian Wiring Rules say about switching (the supply to the EVSE), see photo of the page. In many ways an EVSE is a complex switch that switches supply to the vehicle.
jpg
jpg
Sorry about the jpegs in my previous post. They were a bit of the old Australian wireing rules. Here is a bit from the 2007 rules. It says A switched neutral pole shall not open before and shall not remain open after the active pole(s).
jpg

The wiring rules look like they apply to the electrical system. 

Are you sure they apply to appliances as well? If so every charging station in production fails to meet those rules as it is standard to switch both the hot and return.

You are right, the rules apply to wireing, protection, and switching, let's say, a house. I don't know of any EVSE built to suit an extended application of that rule to an appliance. It would be possible with an appropriate design. Treating an EVSE as part of the wiring and switching that delivers mains power to a vehicle treated as an appliance would require a relay set designed to meet that rule, I see the greatest obstacle being a stuck relay situation. And the best solution being programming the sequence of closure asymmetrically and asynchronously. So open the relay on L1 attached to L, test to see it opened, then open L2 attached to N, I can't see how to test that, then report the open procedure has met the ADRs and probably the 1772 standard. Anyway the current EVSE designs seem to treat L1 and L2 so in Australia that's L and N symmetrically and use a ganged double pole relay that opens L and N symultaeously with a very high probability. We do often have to stand on our head to be comfortable living down under. :-)

The rules make since in the context of the structured building wiring, as you may have Neutral tied to Ground in several panels within a building. However as an end device where you have separate Neutral/Ground conductors and it is prohibited to tie the them together anywhere except the panel, there is no chance for strange current flow issues. It really does not matter which opens first.

Login or Signup to post a comment