Start a new topic

Which Australian wall plug?

I have just placed an order for the OpenEVSE 30A Deluxe with the J1772 40A cable and I was hoping for a little advice on which wall plug I should acquire in order to complete the parts I need when it arrives.

For context I live in Australia in a house with 3 phase power and I own a 2012 Nissan Leaf (2012 being the only MY ever delivered to Australia). 15A single phase outlets are reasonably easy to find and I would like to be able to make use of them when on the road.
It is my understanding the 2012 Leafs onboard rectifier can only handle 3.6kW which at 240v would mean drawing 15A.  The plan is to upgrade the leaf to a higher capacity EV within the next 3 years so I would like to wire the EVSE to allow me to draw it's maximum current later down the track but to use it mostly on 15A and 10A outlets in the meantime.

I have spoken to an electrician who advised me that it is best practice not to draw more than 20A on a single phase for domestic appliances.  With this in mind, how can I connect a plug that will allow me to draw the full 30A across two phases in a few years time while still allowing me to plug into 15A and 10A single phase outlets in the meantime?

I don't know which plug Australia uses for an electric stove ,but I think that it is the same as for NZ. These plugs and the sockets for it are rated at 32 Amp for 2 Phase and have 4 fat round pins in them ,they might even have a 32 Amp cord attached to them and sell in NZ for around $100 NZ (with attached cord) , I hope this helps . Regards Guido.

There are other options available I just discovered.There is a brand of electrical switches called PDL (Schneider) in NZ which makes very good industrial switches and hotpoints (sockets) and Plugs. Go to the electrical wholesaler and ask for series 56. I recently installed one in my garage because I up-rated the charger in my Nissan Leaf from 16A to 32A. They are also IP66 rated , regards Guido

Login or Signup to post a comment