Start a new topic

Service Required Over Temp (OpenEVSE v3)

Hi all, I have an OpenEVSE v3 controller with LCD+temperature display and Packard C240C contactor connected to a 50A breaker installed at my parents' house. This was the "Deluxe Charge Station Combo (50A max)" from May 2015. For years it has been charging my and then their Volt at 16A with a scavenged 16A J1772 cable.

They now have an Ioniq5 and asked me to upgrade the current, so I replaced the 16A J1772 cable with this ITT 48A one. On the first attempt, I was getting corrupted LCD messages and connected/disconnected cycling; I re-packaged the output AC cables away from the LCD into the lower part between the contactor and the cable glands and that issue has resolved itself.

However, I am now getting a "Service Required Over Temp" when charging for extended periods of time (a few hours). This seems to happen at a range of current settings. All of the support guides point towards AC issues; however, I'm not convinced that's the problem. I have done some (careful) debugging with the lid open during a charging session.

1. I see no thermal damage anywhere; no melted insulation, no charred metal.
  2. I have double and now triple-checked the AC contactor terminals; my cables do not have ferrules, but they are clamped well. I'm going to swing by the hardware store and get some ferrules anyway but I don't expect this to resolve the issue.
  3. I'm not measuring any voltage drop across the contactor, even when I get the probes onto the copper wires between the contact and the insulation.
  4. The contactor is warm to the touch, but not hot (I can hold my fingers on it indefinitely).
  5. The AC-DC converter on the controller is hot to the touch during a charge session; I cannot hold my fingers on it - when the station is idling, this converter is merely warm to the touch.
  6. When re-assembling I did plug the LCD cable in backwards,

I would appreciate any thoughts! This is especially challenging because I don't live here, so I only have this week to debug and get them going. I haven't upgraded the software since June 2015 when I built the unit. I don't have my Bus Pirate here to access the console, so I only have the display.

Suggestions?
now48A.jpg
(2.05 MB)
orig16A.jpg
(1.88 MB)

What firmware version is running on the controller? The original temperature settings were very conservative. Newer firmware starts throttling at 65C internal temp and gives the Service Required shutdown at 72C.

Ferrules on the cables where they go into the relay would help a little.

Getting rid of excess cable length of those red and black wires will also help get the heat out of the station.

I don’t know the exact firmware version, but it predates the temperature throttling, and still had the “very cold” bug in deep winter. I will bring my BusPirate with me at Christmas to do a firmware upgrade. I added ferrules and I replaced the cable gland with one that gave me enough flexibility to get most of the beefy cables out of the box. I also realized the contractor and breaker are both rated for 50A not 60A, so I’m shooting for 40A charging instead of 48A. It’s running happily at 24A now, they will try going up to 32A after their road trip. It is sometimes going into a “Connected/Charging/Disconnected” loop; I’m wondering if it might be noise messing with the CP line.
IMG1195.jpeg
(3.09 MB)
Login or Signup to post a comment