New 3.5" Color LCD display

We are currently building the first batch of full color graphical displays with WiFi.

2 people like this

Not currently, you would have to remove the WiFi/LCD to add the Ethernet board, they both use the single serial interface on the OpenEVSE controller.  It may be possible to develop some code for the Wifi/LCD to relay serial commands to/from the second serial port.

Is this new version compatible with the ethernet mod?

@Kirill

The current TFT LCD does have provisions for touch. The LCD does have a resistive pad and we did create the footprint for the electronics on the board, however the chip is not yet populated. The resistive touch does NOT work through the plastic. We may release a touch enabled version in the future once we develop seals that can expose the display but keep water out.

1 person likes this
I have a question. The TFT interface has something that looks like buttons (and is called buttons in the source code), and it seems that the hardware has either resistive or capacitive touch (at least the elecrow TFT boards has it). Am I right abouy the touch being available? If yes, does it work through the plastic glass?

@Ian Molton

Download and load via the manual install the 5.1.0 release here:

https://github.com/OpenEVSE/openevse_esp32_firmware/releases/tag/v5.1.0

Direct install should work for future releases.

(the "direct install" button

Hi, thanks, I'd guessed it might be that, good to confirm it.

Unfortunately, although the LCD is fine now, the update feature is as broken as the original firmware it shipped with, and it now refuses to do updates (from git) when I click on the button.

Theu update starts, but dows not complete.

How do I fix this?

@Ian Molton,

Wrong firmware, you have loaded firmware for the standalone WiFi module.

You need firmware for the TFT LCD WiFi module. It is here:

https://github.com/OpenEVSE/openevse_esp32_firmware/releases/tag/v5.1.0

File Name:

openevse_wifi_tft_v1.bin 

2 people like this

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, good to know the GFCI is now integrated - should I simply enable the GFCI test option in the web UI?

Also (feel free to move this to another thread), my LCD appears to have stopped working. The ESP32 seems to work still, and the web UI is accessible and seems to work, however the LCD and the LEDs appear to have stopped working, the only light now being the green LED on the thermal sensor PCB.

Im not sure why - I havent powered it up since it was last powered, shortly after assembly. It was working then, and now it isn't.

Could this be some sort of firmware failure? Perhaps the LCD is not being initialised correctly? I did update the firmware.

I have tried downgrading to the firmware here:

https://objects.githubusercontent.com/github-production-release-asset-2e65be/202533650/3ddbd6b2-382b-498e-91bb-85f30ad59c3d?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAVCODYLSA53PQK4ZA%2F20240222%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20240222T191149Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Signature=68145d4e52c63622208cdd96434798fdf933da28a92eae3e06b434795bf01f5b&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&actor_id=0&key_id=0&repo_id=202533650&response-content-disposition=attachment%3B%20filename%3Dopenevse_wifi_v1.bin&response-content-type=application%2Foctet-stream

and also updating to the latest firmware, but none have !he same version as the firmware that was shipped.

Until today, all these firmwares produced a display output that was just fine, so I am unsure what has changed, if anything, or wether I am simply unlucky and my LCD has had an early death.

I'm happy to probe voltages on the LCD board, if it helps - just say where...

Ta!

Here is a highlight video of the assembly of the new TFT LCD. We are currently building them in-house.

mp4
(17.7 MB)

1 person likes this

@Ian Molton The GFCI test wires are now internal to the coil case. We ordered so many the manufacture got tired of wrapping them by hand and made it an official product. They are now Black/White instead of Black/Orange.

1 person likes this

Oh, and mine didnt have the orange current trip test wire in the kit - should I add one? how?

I received mine the other day.

Bad bit first (get it out of the way). The shipping has cost me dearly - I ordered the kit, and having paid the UPS shipping fee, I did not expect to end up paying 30% duty (US duty is supposed to be 12% AFAICT) to the guy who was literally demanding money at the door (not a scammer, I did get the parcel). over £100 shipping in total has really taken the icing off the price, especially since if the kit had been shipped in a couple of smaller parts, it wouldnt have qualified for any duty at all...

Due to the way it's shipped, the contents have scuffed the inside of the front panel, which spoils it a bit. some foam glued in the screen hole would go a long way to preventing that.

A sheet of paper or something explaining what was in the box  would have been nice. I did guess, but the temperature module isnt on the website AFAICT? I also had a wire left over.

On the plus side, I was not expecting to receive a nice colour TFT, so that was a bonus.

I've wired it up and was pleased to discover that it selected a (mostly) sensible 13A default (which I dropped to 8, since I was testing it on a 13A plug socket).

Slightly alarming bug (IMHO) in that when selecting type2 charging, it selected 24A max, when I had chosen 8 before. I havent retested this since the firmware update.

Updating the firmware worked (you have to very carefully follow the prompt in the web interface - it took me a few goes.) After update, the update dialogue itself worked much better.

Overall, I'm quite happy with it. I've stuck the temperature sensor to the top of the case - is there temp. monitoring for the relay as an option?

It'll happily charge my Zoe Q210 and a Prius Gen4, at least up to 13A (brief test).

I'm a bit lost in the terminology at the moment, is it possible to use something like CanZE to read out the cars battery level and report it to OpenEVSE, in order to control charging?

Also, what options do I have for saving money in the UK - does anyone know if any energy providers offer deals that I can use the connectivity of OpenEVSE to "interface" with ?

Temperature board is MCP9808. https://www.adafruit.com/product/5027

Can you provide part number for the thermometer board? I already assembled my kit and forgot to make a photo :)

Login or Signup to post a comment