Start a new topic

Button?

So I got my openEVSE's and I was hoping to add a button to simply act as an over ride for the schedule, idea was to make things very simple for my wife to over ride with out having to use an app.

Opened them up and don't see a port on the LCD board for a button like is in the documentation.... has the button port been moved, or removed in newer hardware version, or am I just missing it?

The button footprint is still present on the LCD board. It can be used by soldering to the pads or soldering a 3 pin JST PH connector.

connector - S3B-PH-SM4-TB(LF)(SN) 

The button doesn't seem likes it for sale anymore in the parts section.   Is that correct?

Correct. Both the mechanical buttons and touch had issues that we have yet to overcome.

First, both posed a security issue for any publicly accessible station. Passers-by could mess with the settings of your station or stop a charge.

The mechanical buttons require a cutout in the enclosure and despite having seals and "Waterproof" buttons, it could be challenging to keep water out.

The capacitive touch buttons were the solution to the waterproofing issue as there were no cutouts in the enclosure, however they had their own challenges. Insects and weather could sometimes trigger the sensor, occasionally stopping a charge session. This is not ideal if you depend on your vehicle to commute to work.

The button was controlled on the OpenEVSE controller, which ideally should only be handling safety related functions. The memory is very limited so the button only had a few functions. We are planning to move the button code over to the WiFi controller at some point which will allow more functionality, we could also use a RFID card to enable the button solving both the security issue and insects/weather. The latest WiFi hardware has a pin and connector dedicated to a button. It is a low priority at the moment, but we would certainly support a developer who wanted to contribute some code.

Login or Signup to post a comment