Start a new topic

UL listed?!?

I know OpenEVSE is not currently UL listed.  I just found out my electrician will not wire up the OpenEVSE since it is not UL listed.

What is the big hurdle in getting the OpenEVSE UL listed?

$85,000.

Note, there are several products based on OpenEVSE that are UL listed.

https://wattzilla.com

Another hurdle is once you certify, the hardware and software is locked down. Changes require re-certification, so improvement and innovation is essentially halted.

Could always have a prod more stable branch and a development branch that changes more often.  Only the prod branch is UL listed.  Not being UL listed definitely hinders adoption because it appear no town with allow it to pass electrical inspection if it is not UL listed.  If this open source power meeter  IoTaWatt https://iotawatt.com/ is able to have four different certifications than is is definitely possible.  It might be worth conversing with the folks that went through the certification process.  All the IoTaWatt certifications are listed near the bottom of the first page.  

OpenEVSE is the development branch. 

Electrical inspection is only an issue for devices that are hardwired into the electrical system. Plug in devices are treated differently than hardwired.

We work with others manufactures like Wattzilla, EmonEVSE, KIGT, Faradice, and many others for UL and CE certified variants of OpenEVSE core technology.

Hardwiring a high load EVSE is much more reliable than using a plug which is why it is more desirable.  I have seen too many issues because people used a plug.  

Yes a electrical inspection is what I need in order to use OpenEVSE at my house.  Using a plug is less reliable and more prone to faille.  

Wattzilla- no mention of any software features, look like a pretty basic EVSE

EmonEVSE- only sold in UK

KIGT-zero features listed

Faradice-icelandic based, no mention of UL The site is in swedish so I might of missed it.  

IoTaWatt has all the proper safety inspections, and they are just a open source as OpenEVSE. 

IoTaWatt is not a High Voltage / High Power EVSE, it's a low voltage device. Requirements and cost are WAY DIFFERENT. 

Read their statements carefully. "Accessories sold by IoTaWatt, Inc are UL listed or UL recognized" Guess what? So is every high voltage part included and sold by OpenEVSE. The UL numbers are in the store description... Glands, Relays, cables, AC/DC power supply, enclosure, ground lug, etc.

OpenEVSE is meant to be a development platform with cutting edge features and technology that are not conducive for certification. We have no intention to certify the development platform.  At some point, we may certify a vanilla configuration.

That is great that all individual components of the OpenEVSE are UL listed.  The problem is that my electrician/electrical inspector need the device not the components to be UL listed.  

I know many thousands of electric clothes dryers that have never shown signs of issues, heating or failing plugs.  If designed correctly with proper wire size and over rated plug, you wont see an issue.  Also the plugs are generally plugged in and left alone, like a dryer, and thus don't develop the loose contacts like other plugs that are inserted and deserted.   Also lets not forget how the power gets into the car....  a plug.   Designed for the current like noted above.    But I get your concern, maybe look at going with a 50A plug on a 40A circuit to feed a 32A evse.  

Login or Signup to post a comment