Start a new topic

Connecting v5.5 controller to LCD and WIFI that worked with v. 5.0.

Posting here since there was no reply to my support ticket.....

Hi,

Based on openEVSE reply to a support ticket, I ordered a new controller to fix mine that was broken and got a version 5.5.

Unfortunately, I think my controller was version 5.

The connections for my LCD and wifi module are different than the v5.5. controller.  I was able to hack something together for the LCD to at least confirm that the charger and LCD work but the connections are not very good. I did not try to connect my wifi. 

Is there any cables that would allow me to connect my existing v5 LCD panel and WIFI module to the v5.5 controller?  I bought my openEVSE so I could fix it but now that the parts have changed and they didn't make it backwards compatible.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Sorry for the slow reply on the support side, we have made a massive push to clear the order backlog.

Yes, we do have adapter cables that adapt older LCD and WiFi to the new controller. We will send you a set.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sending the cables but I still had to modify the wifi cable. See below the details.

In case anyone has a version 5 Openevse ( mine was OpenEVSE_PLUS_v5). If you are not sure your version look here for history and images) and needs a new controller (mine was struck by lightning but amazingly the controller was all the failed), then make sure you ask for the conversion cable because the wifi and LCD screen connections are different in older openevse versions.

The connector for the LCD screen worked perfect as shown in this picture.

The Wifi cable I received looked like this where the 5V red wired and black ground were not connected to anything. 

I was able to remove the black and red wires from my old Wifi wire by using a small screw driver to pry up on the black plastic tab that holds the metal connector in the plastic. I then inserted these wires into the black end of the wire (make sure you put the wires in the correct spots as shown in my picture) that I got from OPENEVSE.  Next, I had to solder the end wires together and cover with some tape so it looked like this. 

Note that the adapter connector I got from OPENEVSE had the yellow and green wires in opposite spots compared to the documentation. However, the wires were connecting the correct terminals so it didn't matter.  Also note that the wifi module uses 5V so the red wire on the white end that goes into the controller is in the slot for 5V.

Final pictures of the LCD,

New controller connections,

Wifi connection,

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the sending the cables.  The LCD cable worked perfect.  The WIFI cable I had to make some modifications to make it work.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi,

Adding some details for anyone who has an older version of openevse and needs a new controller. Information about different controllers is here.  My controller was struck by lightning and failed but everything else was OK in my openevse.

Make sure you check which version of the controller you have and ask for conversion cables when you order a new controller.  A few shots of my cables and connection between my v5.0 openevse and the 5.5 controller.

LCD connection

A LCD closeup connection.

WIFI

Controller

Thanks,

Andy

Login or Signup to post a comment