Start a new topic

Open EVSE won't charge

Advanced kit diy assembly. After assembly, tried charging. EVSE boots fine goes into ready, 12A. Tried changing to 15A, only changes on a restart Before plugging in, EVSE said ready. When plugged into car, contactor " clunk" is not heard , EVSE says connected but charging did not start. Have double, triple checked wiring, pilot definitely connected to correct terminal, coils definitely connected correctly, have had sparkie friend who has a assembled a few of these check my work. We connected 12v to the contactor coil and it activated , so contractor works. Have checked all continuity, earth is connected via the backplane , all wires are correct. Have tried on two cars, same issue. Could this be a dud controller? Do I have to order another one to check?

When you plug into your car does the display change from "Ready" to "Connected" or "Charging"? Does the vehicle give any indication that the plug has be inserted?

The car gives no indication of the unit being plugged in, the openevse says "connected"and that's it. I've tried on a number of other vehicles too. At this point I'm ready to order another controller to see if it's that but needed a sign of life from openEVSE (which this is, thank you) so now I will order another. That will prevent you being tied up helping to diagnose this. It will cost me extra but at this point I don't see another option
And yes, display changes from ready to connected when I plug a car in

The issue is not likely the controller. 

If the vehicle does not recognize the plug, the issue is the push button/latch. If the button does not click when you press and click again on release connected to the vehicle, charging will not begin.

You can test the button with a multimeter, if you measure resistance from the "Proximity" pin on the handle to the ground pin it should read 330 ohms and 480 ohms when pressed and released.

It's a type 2, so no pushbutton. Proximity not connected, as per instructions, only CP. I measured CP to PE and it was 11.34V as I recall.

Type 2 still requires a resistor in the handle from the PP to ground. If the resistor is missing, the vehicle will not detect the plug.

Current capabilityResistance
13 A1.5 kilohms
20 A680 ohms
32 A200 ohms
63 A (3 phase) / 70 A (single phase)100 ohms

Testing procedure is the same, measure resistance from PP pin in handle to PE Earth.

Measured resistance is 10k from PP to earth (middle pin of 3 in type 2

What is the current capacity of the cable? A 32A cable should read 200 ohms. 10k does not correspond to any cable (see chart above).

It's supposed to be 32A. Is that for maximum capacity? If you think you'd is the issue, I'll teach down another cable. Or would adding a simple 200 Ohm resistor suffice? Sounds like I don't have to replace anything on the openEVSE device

The resistor in the handle is for the max capacity of the cable. Pilot is the max capacity of the station.

It is as simple as adding the correct resistor. Here is a guide that may help.

https://openevse.dozuki.com/Guide/How+to+build+an+IEC+-+Type+2+Mennekes+Cable/35?lang=en

Thanks for your assistance, will try this soon and report back. Hope you get on top of your backlog soon.

some progress in my OpenEVSe saga - put a resistor ( 180 ohm - so that makes the current capacity high but since I am setting the EVSe to 15A max, shouldnt matter ) inside the OpenEVSE ( handle is not easy to access ) PP wire down to groundplane - so now PP to PE reads 180 ohm. So, it starts charging! hooray.. except it does an Error No Ground immediately after starting. Curiously, the Tesla will charge ok on 10A but as soon as I step it up to 15A , it also says Error No Ground. Kona craps itself immediately

Folllowing up on this, I have tried the settings advised in that article - and the reset 
ie $Z0 200 127

$Z0 100 105

$Z0 255 255
Nothing doing.
Additional notes:
The relay contactor does not appear to be making contact , ie. no KLAK noise at all after plugging into .car.
Just says "ready" and then connected when plugged in. Nothing more - there is still a 150 ohm resistance across PE-PP .
I am on firmware 8.2.0 EU 
I'm not sure what more I can do.

I took it along to our monthly Australian Electric Vehicle association meeting and a few more people looked over it, nothing wrong with my wiring, inductor coils as they should be.

Login or Signup to post a comment