Start a new topic

Eco not honouring available power on start


After going to sleep overnight when the solar kicks in next day the charger immediately starts charging at full power and does not throttle back in any reasonable time frame.

The solution seems to be to turn off Eco, then turn it back on again.





The middle graph is from Iotawatt which provides the power data to MQTT.

As you can see, once the solar started exporting around 200W the charger went straight to over 3kW draw where it remained until I stopped and restarted Eco mode.

The charger is showing only 1A available, but still happily churning out 15A (15A was the set maximum that day)

Today it has done pretty much the same thing (the charger was unplugged until late morning today while some electrical work was being done), reporting 18A available but charging at 27A (32A max today) regardless. I tried altering the Smoothing factors but that seemed to make little if any difference.

What am I missing here?


I think I am experiencing a similar issue with an eco mode driven "load balancing": I've subscribed the EVSE to a domoticz provided MQTT topic providing instant available power, ie ( [max allowed mains current] - [instant non EVSE total household current] ) * [measured mains voltage].

When charge starts, the amperage climbs up to the max current setting in the EVSE interface (26A in the screen shot), instead of throttling to the advertized available 18A (luckily I had kept a 10A security margin so it didn't trip the mains).

It looks like the eco mode throttle only kicks in when the pilot value is actually changed by the EVSE ?

After this first pilot update, the eco mode max current appears to then be honored and behaves as expected, following nicely the MQTT advertized available power. But the EVSE can again be sent well over the eco mode threshold by changing the "max current" setting in the EVSE web interface during the eco mode charging.

I've only just installed the EVSE, so I might well have overlooked some setting.

Pascal, charging a Zoé

We would recommend testing the latest firmware here:

If the issue is not resolved, please report the issue here:


Thanks for the suggestion, I replaced the pre-installed V4.1.1 with V4.1.2 and this appears to have fixed the issue.

One possible new issue is that after restarting the OpenEVSE WiFi, the web interface reported 16A in the drop down "Max Current" menu, which also wax the maximum available value in the list (instead of the previous value of 32A).

I'm not totally confident that my fix was correct (because I could not find a straight forward way to push back up this upper bounday for "Max current") : I enabled "developper mode" then sent the RAPI command "$SC 28" (to set this upper bound to 28A). Unexpectidly this appeared to immediatly send the charge current to 28A, but after restarting the EVSE module the "Max current" drop down list now reaches all the way to 28A, and the charge / Solar divert appear to behave as expected.

Oh, and by the way, many thanks for the whole EVSE project, so fortunate to be able to benefit from the hard & software :)


My OEVSE is out on a trip at present, but when it returns I'll update and report back.

Login or Signup to post a comment