Start a new topic

Tutorial On - How to build kit for 3 Phase - Mennekes Plug

People around globe admire OpenEVSE kit but in Europe and many other countries, mennekes type plug is used. Anyone can help me out with a brand new updated BUILD GUIDE/ TUTORIAL on how to build an IEC 62196 - Type 2 (AKA Mennekes),1 Phase and 3 Phase plug?

Attaching a image of kit from OpenEnergyMonitor

kit.jpg
(126 KB)

I am not sure there is enough difference to make a whole new guide. For single phase the difference is only the Physical Plug. You can follow the current guides without modification. The guide does not specify the connector on the end, just the conductor connections. https://openevse.dozuki.com/Guide/OpenEVSE+40A+Standard/8

Connection               J1772/IEC Type 1    Mennekes/IEC Type 2 

Relay Out Hot             L1 Hot                      L1 Hot

Relay Out Neutral       Neutral                     Neutral

Ground                        Ground                    Ground

OpenEVSE Pilot         Control Pilot            Control Pilot

For 3 Phase all the connections in the guide are the same. The 2 pole contractor is replaced with a 4 Pole. L2 Hot and L3 Hot just pass through the additional polls of the relay IN and OUT No connections to the OpenEVSE controller are required. The connections are:

Connection               Mennekes/IEC Type 2 

Relay Out Hot           L1 Hot

Relay Out Hot           L2 Hot

Relay Out Hot           L3 Hot

Relay Out Neutral     Neutral

Ground                     Ground

Control Pilot             Control Pilot

2 people like this

Thank you man. (Y)

While using a 3-Phase Input supply to the, does the output voltage to EV from Kit is 420V or is it 230V? If 230V: Then why do we really need a 3-Phase kit? 

The OpenEVSE controller controls the relay on or off, it does not change the output in any way.

Output will always equal the input.

1 Phase with a 2 pole relay the EV will see Hot to Neutral or 230v.

3 Phase with a 4 pole relay the EV will see Hot to Hot to Hot and Neutral. Hot to Hot to Hot measures 420v.

In both cases the OpenEVSE controller is powered by a Hot and Neutral.

1 person likes this
What would be really nice though would be a way of identifying when there is three-phase power used so that any current measurements could be taken into account. I'm not sure if this can be done with the existing hardware. Sure, you could multiply current / power by 3 when using three-phase, but how would the unit know when to do that or not?

what about with the PP terminal. I have an BMW i3, from EU and i already connected but doesn't work. No charge nothing.

Just to follow up on this, I've now built mine and have it working with 3-phase power. As Chris mentioned, it's a simple case of replacing 2-pole contactor with 4-pole.

All three phases + neutral must go through GFCI coil.
If you are measuring current, then just one phase through current coil. Note that this will report 1/3 of actual energy when charging on 3-phase.

I'd be really interested in building a 3-phase version which can actually measure 3-phase consumption relatively accurately. I'll post another topic on this :)

@Ignacio, assuming you have the LCD screen, what does it say when you connect to your i3? Does it say "Connected" or "Ready" ?

1 person likes this
It say Conneted. Now is working with an resistor bethewen PP and ground. The conexión PP to the controller, don’t work, saying connected, but not charge
I have another problem, sometimes when start charging, the GFCI from my house switch off, and my house haven’t electricity. When I charge in other place, fast charging or medium, it don’t happen nothing.

How to properly take into account the consumption of the 3 phases?

The build is the same as Single phase with the addition of L2 and L3 on the contactor.

For Energy consumption you can upload the 3 Phase version of the EU firmware.

https://github.com/openenergymonitor/open_evse/releases/tag/v5.0.0

pdf

2 people like this

I think in this scheme AC TEST 1 and AC TEST 2 must be connected not at L1 and L2 but at L1 and N (240 V between them)

I did this scheme but it doesn't work

- OPENEVSE

- I've a RCD breaker to protect it and no GFCI protection.

- the GFCI test is disabled 

- tethered cable + Mennekes

- PP wire is not connected

- Firmware actualized to 3 phases: openevse-3ph.hex

it doesn't work because the AC RELAY 1 & 2 has no tension and relay doesn't connect

When the car is unplugged display says READY and CP tension is  + 11.58 V

When the car is plugged display says CONNECTED and CP tension is  - 4.56V

When the car is plugged and Sleeping time or Paused, display says  CONNECTED and CP tension is  +  8.95 V

any idea to make it work?

some more information bout my problem

Login or Signup to post a comment