Start a new topic

Update on EV quick charging CHAdeMO/CCS/etc.

This is a copy of a post a few weeks ago.  Hopefully posting as a new topic will "spark" some interest:  NOTE - rule 21 in California is attempting to set basic standards for grid interface of energy users and producers (EVs can be both of course) - Can these "rules" help define an "open" DC charge controller?

The post:

Appears a few companies are offering CHAdeMO and CCS connectors with their DC QC equipment:

Setec Power

Andromeda Power LLC 

emotorwerks

Others?

There appears to be movement to design QC's for most home applications (50 or 60 amp dual breaker?) that can also be adapted to solar PV DC characteristics - with MPPT software functions - just starting to see that combination.

As this type of charging becomes more competitive and the advantages of S2V and V2G/V2H start outweighing the costs,  I'll bet the connector costs will come down substantially.  As I understand the CHAdeMO protocol also allows bi-directional DC current in 2014 Leafs and later - not sure about others.

So - Chris is it possible to develop an "open" system for DC QC with solar MPPT functionality?  Since it involves both the charger and the controller, can an "open" controller (CHAdeMO/CCS/Tesla) be designed around a charger specification that can be bought separately (emotorwerks)?  Design and build of an "open' charger for high voltage DC seems risky to say the least??

Not being an electronics designer - these are mostly observations and "open" questions - however the first real integration system of PV DC/MPPT functionality of a ~10-15 KW "affordable" QC (or even a 240 split phase based QC for those of us with 3.3KW AC based chargers) might be just the ticket for solar and EV enthusiasts. 

3 people like this idea

A Setec 50kW DCFC was installed 2018 at Ayer Keroh, Malacca:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/myevoc/permalink/731028170619612/

But went completely out of service in 2020:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/myevoc/permalink/1411180922604330/

AutoEnterprise in Ukraine was able to perform a few repairs/improvements on their units though:
https://youtu.be/AZPeOsk_a7c

Could the reliability issue be related to DIN 70121 compliance?

Although Setec claims IEC68151 compliance at
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Setec-Power-50KW-Electric-Car-Fast_60655893134.html?spm=a2700.pc_countrysearch.main07.103.5dee5b99SGzE6h

, so far I've not found information on DIN 70121 compliance per the ABB Terra 54 unit that finally replaced the Setec unit there last year:

Wonder if others have had similar experience?

Nissan appears to be close (2020 - 1st quarter) to offering DC/DC CHAdeMO based V2X equipment that would be warranted as part of the Leaf sale.  Don't know the specifics, however, that would be the first commercial/warranted bi-directional offering that I'm aware of.  There is some activity in the CCS protocols with a bidirectional charge system, but it is very early and focused on commercial vehicles.

I have not kept up with the Setec units, however 2 years ago they had developed what was claimed to be a direct CHAdeMO and CCS compliant charger (uni-directional) with solar MPPT inputs.  It contained a "buffer" system of Li batteries.

Anyone with updates?

1 person likes this

I would be /very/ interested in a PV powered DC<->DC CCS charging system, even without MPPT (which would be awesome), the advantages of not having inverters and stepping down to Level 2 AC charging would be massive. Used PV panels are very cheap where I am (Hawaii). I'd love to drop 10 of these on my roof, get >500V DC during the day, and charge my i3 quickly....

Anyone have a setup doing this with any success?

Jeroen;

The unit has a great appearance - is the build quality as good as it looks?  How about the electronics - good components, boards, wiring, terminal connectors, etc?

What assembly did you actually need to do, ie, how is it shipped?  Did you buy directly from Setec?  Can you give me an idea of cost of the unit and shipping? and how it is actually shipped?  

What energy sources can the unit accept?  What levels of AC voltages/Hz, and can it accept a DC source.  Does it have the capability to accept a PV panel input - with some sort of power point tracking?

Are you expected to work with Setec on any firmware updates - and if so, does that appear to be well documented and (hopefully) easy?

Setec is telling me that they will have a 10kw "solar" unit available with specifications very soon - are you interested in that - or as in the above question is actually a functionality of your unit?  I will certainly keep you updated.

If you would like to correspond directly, please feel free to email me at marktm200 using the standard google gmail extension.

Exciting times!,

Mark

Hi marc,

Very good product. You have to assemble the parts(casing, modules and cables).

I charge my e-golf in 135min from 0% to 100%! I love the product!

Check out the pictures.

If you have any questions let me know.

Jeroen;

Thanks - very interested in the Setec unit's build quality and performance.  As stated, I'm strongly considering one, but ordering and shipping directly from China are quite new to me - the confidence level is quite low!

Mark

Mark, the Setec product is going to be shipped the tomorrow. I have upgrade to the "SET450-40BX" (the 20kw version).
Because i did some calculations with my e-golf. Its a 88sp3 battery meaning, it has a nominal voltage of 323. The 10 kw version has a current limit of 20a. So it will charge with around 6,5kw. My on-board charger is rated for 7.2kw.

For the leaf has a nominal voltage of 360 and will charger around 7,2kw with the 10 kw version.

i will report back when the Setec product is in.

Jeroen;

Can you explain more about the SET450?  I have considered it for my Nissan Leaf with CHAdeMO connector, however dealing with Setec is not that easy nor informative and I am reluctant.  

The development of a DC/DC quick charger/controller with the proper connectors and protocols for EV charging is quite beyond my capabilities.  I, like you keep searching for a commercially available system that works out of the box, but so far, the only two suppliers are emotorwerks and Setec Power LLC.  Both are quite expensive and also don't seem to have proof of actual operation - at least here in the U.S.  I'm located in Texas.

I am interested in any experience with the Setec equipment.

Thanks,

Mark

I have bought a "10KW CCS CHAdeMO Portable Charger(SET450-20BX-SC)" version with them. But that's no fun and still expensive.

I want give this to the outside world, the EV community.

@Marc what kinds of car do you want it for? And where are you living? Can you help me or do you know people how can help?

Jeroen;

It appears Setec Power has mastered the CHAdeMO and CCS protocols.  They have a DC 10, 20 and 50? kw chargers with either or both.  I'm seriously considered buying a combo solar/MPPT/DC/DC charger from them.  However, the solar offering seems to be new/custom and they are not sure of the actual specifications (at least they are reluctant to give me details).   I'll post any updates.  

Like you, I'm very interested in this area of development.  It appears that a combination of in-depth knowledge of microprocessor control/programming, CAN communications, buck/boost high speed switching technology, high power inverter technology (V2H/V2G), and as you mentioned PLC, not to mention all the industry standards - quite a daunting undertaking! 

maybe this is something?

these guys Auronik have a board EVAcharger SE (can buy here). but still very expensive.
Ah yeah no software. you have to develop it yourself.
I had a chat with these guys and the software is also very expensive.

So i have already ordered a CCS Combo typ2 connector (here)
i'm searching for help from someone how to make a PLC connection(hardware) with the car.

1 person likes this

Marc, emotorwerks has a DC to DC charger and also a CHAdeMo controller. Connectors you can buy from aliexpress.

The problem with DC fast charging is that the communication is complex. CHAdeMO works with CAN (complex) and CCS Combo type 1 or 2 works with PLC (power line communication)(very complex)

Buttonline the car tells the charger how to charger. Things like charge voltage/current.

This all is specified in European standard DIN 70121(2012). For non european market I believe the ISO 15118 has to be applied instead, which is similar to the DIN, but not 100% compatible.

I'm a software developer and i'm searching for a guy how can help with the hardware side.

I'm hoping to make a cheap DC charger (around 22KW ) for my e-golf

2 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment