Start a new topic

OPenEVSE has stopped charging my Leaf - what to check?

Hi All, my first post. I have had an openEVSE for about 2 years. I've used it many times without any problem until today.

I plugged in my Leaf (2015 MY, UK built) and the car did not start to charge. After a pause of a few seconds the car errors with a 'beep-beep-beep, beep-beep-beep ..' (etc). The EVSE does not change to EV connected.

I  tried on a Jap built leaf too. On this can it does change to EC connected but there is no 'click' of the car locking in and charge starting.

I've opened it up, there is no moisture, all the connections look OK.

I'm not sure where to begin with fault finding.....

I would start by checking all the Earth ground connections are secure including the earth ground to the OpenEVSE board.

Next I would check that the pilot line is securely connected to the OpenEVSE board. You should be able to measure about 11.5v from pilot to ground on the end of the charge connector.

Finally I would check the proximity button on the charge cable. With power off, you should be able to measure resistance from the proximity pin to ground, 150 ohms when the button is presses 480 when it is not pressed.

1 person likes this

I final found some time to look at this properly today.

- Earth connections : OK. Checked all connections were tight and had continuity.

- Pilot : OK. Measured 11.53v.

- Button : OK. Checked resistance. 150 / 482 ohms.

So what next... I noticed the connector wasn't very easy to insert. I disassembled, checked all the pins, reassembled. I found I could get the car to negotiate about 1 in 5 times, but only if I pushed the connector in hard. 

A few squirts of silicone spray and now its working 100% of the time again!

I don't think there were any issues with the openEVSE, just the connector snagging and not making a good connection.

Login or Signup to post a comment