Start a new topic

OLIMEX - ESP32-GATEWAY Red light after Firmware Upgrade

Hi All

I tried to upgrade the firmware from v4.1.5 to v4.1.6, however the board is no longer responding and has a red power led on, and nothing else responds.

The upgrade was done from the Web Interface, and looked to go correctly.  I restarted the WiFi unit via the web interface, and that is when I lost response to the unit.

I did note that on the EVSE Display there was a message indicating that the firmware upgrade was complete (Sorry I did not take note of the exact message) and had been there for some time, approx 30mins.  At this point I powered the EVSE off, and back on again. There is no indication from the EVSE display of any wireless unit being attached. I've tried to power cycle the unit several times, both connected to the EVSE, and separately via the USB cable.

I've tried to manually flash the firmware onto the unit running the command below, with the following output, but still the same non responsive result.  I've tried to flash a couple of earlier versions on the unit, but all have the same result.

======8<-----

sudo esptool.py --baud 921600 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash -z --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 40m --flash_size detect 0x1000  openevse_esp32-gateway-e.bin

esptool.py v4.3
Found 1 serial ports
Serial port /dev/ttyUSB0
Connecting....
Detecting chip type... Unsupported detection protocol, switching and trying again...
Connecting.....
Detecting chip type... ESP32
Chip is ESP32-D0WD-V3 (revision v3.0)
Features: WiFi, BT, Dual Core, 240MHz, VRef calibration in efuse, Coding Scheme None
Crystal is 40MHz
MAC: 8c:4b:14:83:d4:80
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Changing baud rate to 921600
Changed.
Configuring flash size...
Auto-detected Flash size: 4MB
Flash will be erased from 0x00001000 to 0x0016cfff...
Compressed 1489760 bytes to 981088...
Wrote 1489760 bytes (981088 compressed) at 0x00001000 in 17.3 seconds (effective 687.0 kbit/s)...
Hash of data verified.

Leaving...
Hard resetting via RTS pin...

======8<-----

Is anybody able to advise how I can get this unit going again, or have I created a paperweight?

Cheers

It looks like the firmware load was successful and verified. Have you tried older firmware that you know works?

I did try to load an earlier version, but that did not help.  What I did have to do to get it working again, was to wipe the unit, and reload the correct version.  This all came down to me loading version e, instead of version f onto the unit. 
It's all back in operation once again.
Login or Signup to post a comment