Start a new topic

Use level 3 port for backup power

Every time I loose power at my home I think about how nice it would be to tap into the 65KW of power that I have between two electric cars. I am thinking it would need to be an enclosed device about the size of a small generator so it can have an inverter in it. I also am thinking the plug and cable for the car can be detachable that way it can be interchangeable between the different level 3 port standards. I don't think the device would need to power a whole house but if it could provide outlet power of around 2000 watts than that would, I feel, suite the needs of a power outage. 

I am looking at getting an EGO power station to use during power outages. If there was a similar device that could plug into the car's level 3 port, the power capacity would be incomparable. I would have more power available and feel more at ease, instead of buying a bunch of EGO batteries that I have to remember to check and keep charged.  

I know it is really easy to throw an idea out there and I do understand how difficult or even impossible to create something like this can be, but I do know if a device that plugged into my EV would let me harness that stored energy I would defiantly buy one. I can also see this device being very useful during camping trips, tailgate parties, etc.

So that is my 2 cents for what it is worth just wanted to throw that out there to see if it sticks.

1 person likes this idea
1 Comment

on the DC charging port, it doesn't care what direction the power flows, you just need the proper plug and signal to tell the car a DC charger is hooked up and close the internal contactor.     after that you should have 360 Volts DC at the car connector.  (or whatever voltage your car battery is) then you can use something like the below link.  Its an inverter/charger that can be programmed to charge or use your DC battery.     So you can program it to charge when your solar is producing, or during the day, and grid tie or off grid power your home. 

https://theinverterstore.com/product/30kw-pure-sine-power-inverter-charger-300-vdc-240-vac-split-phase/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwp86EBhD7ARIsAFkgakhUtl3-kgFo_oD_tNTEJdKn_81fQ8j7AHcJ0XTAPxMVHN9wjCdkvDYaApyhEALw_wcB

Login or Signup to post a comment