Start a new topic

Using a removable Type 2 cable query

Hi,

I have the advanced kit on order (will take some time to arrive).

I have ordered a Charger Type 2 socket, & one option was for a solenoid lock. I can buy the lock later, but feel it would be a good idea. (The lock is either 12 or 24V operation)

I have ordered a socket with flying leads so I do not need to crimp the cables. I am thinking of mounting an ABS box below the EVSE, with the Socket mounted to the box. If I decide to use a Solenoid, I would need to have a signal to power it, plus a supply or transformer. In fact the easiest way might be to power the solenoid from the EVSE Output.

I feel the removable cable will be easier for maintenance, as well as available to use when I charge at carparks which saometimes do not supply cables.

Has anyone investigated the lock solenoid?

1 Comment

Yes, OpenEVSE does support locking connectors. You will need a 12V supply and a reversible motor driver. The 4 watt supply on OpenEVSE is not nearly enough to drive the lock solenoid. Here is a diagram that shows the output pins on the OpenEVSE controller.

https://github.com/OpenEVSE/OpenEVSE_PLUS/blob/master/OpenEVSE_PLUS_v5/Standard_3Phase.pdf

You will also need to enable the locking feature in the firmware.

Login or Signup to post a comment