Start a new topic

Type B RCD, OpenEVSE

I'm required to install a type B RCD.. as part of my install..   I appreicate that the system has a software RCD configured, and i understand that it is 'tested' every time the device in use..

If i have this RCD upstream of my charger, the 'test' is likely to trip the rcd i would have thought?  I'd be in an endless circle of reseting it and never being able to charge..

I'm thinking that the way to do this is probalbly to disable / remove this function from software?    

Any suggestsions

With a Type B RCD the OpenEVSE GFCI test coil is not needed. It should be disconnected and GFCI Self Test should be disabled.

2 people like this
I’ve had a Type B RCD in the supply to my openEVSE for about a year without running into any issues. I’m curious to know why OpenEVSE Support say that the coil should be disconnected and the test disabled?

@Paul, possibly the openEVSE is faster than the Type B?  so tripping first. 

Type B RCD tests for both AC 15-20ma and DC 6ma. 

Using both OpenEVSE AC and the Type B (AC and DC) is redundant and can cause problems using both.  

The article here:

https://www.pdl.co.nz/about-us/trade-blog/type-b-rcd-vs-an-rdc-dd

suggests that the type B RCD is testing for a higher level than 6mA DC, so the OpenEVSE should indeed trip first.  I'm not sure exactly what problems that would cause but it does seem it would be better to disable the test and leave it to be handled by the RCD.

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment