Start a new topic

Questions about OpenEVSE Plus Hardware

One of the pins on my Leviton 32A J1772 recently bit the dust and melted my Tesla J1722 Adapter. Since I'm replacing the cable I figured it's a good time to upgrade to 40A but I have some questions. My OpenEVSE hardware is old. I don't see any board version but my LCD is hand dated 1/5/13 and the controller is labeled OpenEVSE Plus.

1) I noticed in the new guides there are no fuses on the supply. Was it decided these are no longer needed? I could use the extra space for the 50amp relay.

2) Are there any major differences between my OpenEVSE Plus and the current advanced board?

3) There is brown heat discoloration around pcb connections of R21 & R22. Is this of any concern?

1.) If all the components and intended circuit have matching ratings there is no need for fuses. For example 50A circuit (40A Max Continuous) with a 40A relay and 40A cables.

2.) There are likely many differences here are the major changes for each version

OpenEVSE_PLUS_v5 - Current Version - Optimized for high volume manufacturing of changing stations, removed most screw terminals and replaced with common connectors. Change from 2 single chanel opto-isolators for AC detection to 1 dual channel. Added ground connections to screw holes.

OpenEVSE_PLUS_v4 - 2 AC Detect chips like v1 + v2 plus the AC relay driver of v3. Added rectifier diodes to AC detect to improve detection in some conditions. Changed GFCI to individual pinout 4 pins.

OpenEVSE_PLUS_v3 - Removed 1 AC Detect chip and added AC relay driver. Added Current measurement circuit

OpenEVSE_PLUS_v2.5 - Added Current measurement circuit.

OpenEVSE_PLUS_v2 - modified GFCI pinout

OpenEVSE_PLUS_v1 - Inital version - Combined OpenEVSE v7 board and Advanced power supply into single board

Can you attach a picture of the discoloration?

Login or Signup to post a comment