Start a new topic

Can I use the 50A deluxe kit with 120V

I've just put together a 50A deluxe kit with a NEMA 14-50 AC plug and I'm using it happily for the last two days.  I was hoping to take this with me occasionally and use it with a 14-50 to 5-15 adapter. That 5-15 would be 120V, of course. Would this work? I don't know if the 40A contactor in this kit will operate on 120V. 

I also am going to order a 50 Amp Deluxe Kit, but would like to modify it with a contactor that will also work on a 120V source.

Appreciate any info on a contactor that can work with both voltages.

I have finished testing the 450BXX relay. Unfortunately, it uses too much power. On its own it works fine, but WiFi is not stable while the relay is closed. While charging the WiFi module reboots every time it tries to transmit.

If I would change the contactor from the Packard C240C (240V) to a C240B (120V), it should work with 120V (but no longer with 240 obviously), correct?

I don't think there are any other parts that work only on 240V, correct?

And the controller are the same, so I can set the maximum current (pilot signal) to whatever?

Jay you are correct a C240B would give you a L1 only station.

So it looks like this: https://store.openevse.com/products/50a-dpst-relay-set is the officially supported solution? Does the problem with the wifi module still exist?

1 person likes this

There is no problem with WiFi if using power from the primary rail with the UBEC 12v to 5v converter included with the WiFi kit. 

1 person likes this

The tests I performed originally were plagued by a WiFi bug. The cause of the reboots was software not a power issue. Everything is stable even at 70C.

1 person likes this

Hooray!!!

Now just need an excuse to build another charger :)

Login or Signup to post a comment